Audience: Urbana University Faculty utilizing the Blackmer classroom on the Urbana University campus.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to audience listed above.
Sections in this Guide
Setup and Use
The Blackmer classroom contains unique technology. The following steps should be used for:
- Face-to-face courses that wish to utilize the technology
- Streaming courses to online locations
- Recording sessions in the classroom for later viewing
1. If the power on the wall mounted InFocus (combined touchscreen TV and computer) is not on, use the remote control to power it on. There is also a power button on the side of the InFocus. Next, log into the computer.
2. To use the technology in the room, you will need to first open a Zoom session as setup through your course. For more information, please click here.
Zoom sessions will be used for online streaming from the Blackmer classroom, recording from the classroom, or when an instructor wishes to use the different camera options in a face-to-face course. Start your Zoom session before adjusting the technology for best results.
3. Remove the tablet from the charging tray and swipe your finger up from the bottom of the tablet to open unlock it's display.
4. The zoom session should be showing the most recently selected camera option. You can switch between the camera options for your Zoom session by pressing one of 2 buttons on the tablet.
- Option A, PRESENTER (outlined in Purple below): This option tracks the Vaddio Lanyard. Therefore, it is meant to follow a moving Instructor throughout there class. This option will be explained more in Step 5.
- Option B, Student Camera (outlined in Red below): This option looks at the overhead view. It is meant to look at the work of a group surrounding table. This option will be explained more in Step 6.
- To present a PowerPoint or share the computer screen, please see step 9 below.
5. The Presenter camera follows the person wearing the Vaddio Lanyard. To use this lanyard when the PRESENTER camera option is selected, unplug the lanyard from the USB charger, and wear the lanyard around your neck with the Vaddio logo facing out. Then, press the button in the center of the lanyard to turn it on. The light will be blue on the lanyard when it is on.
6. The student overhead camera is used to show group work. To use the student overhead camera, move a classroom table below the camera. Then, press the Student Cam button on the tablet to see and alter that view.
[Camera location on the ceiling]
[Overhead view from the camera in Zoom]
7. To utilize the microphones, please make sure the Mute button is not activated on the tablet.
8. The microphones have been set to an appropriate volume for the room and do not need adjusted. There are 2 microphones options in the room. Both microphones can be used simultaneously.
- Option A, overhead microphones: There are 4 overhead microphones in the classroom. There are always on.
- Option B, the lapel microphone: The lapel microphone is not turned on by default, as the overhead microphones pick up audio for the entire room. However, some Instructors wish to use it for more focused audio capturing of their lecture. The lapel microphone can be turned on using the button on the top of the microphone box. If the light is green, the microphone is on and picking up sound. If the light is orange, the microphone is on, but has been muted. If the light is not illuminated, it has been shut off.
9. To present a PowerPoint presentation or other application on the computer, you will need to share your screen in Zoom. DO NOT use the InFocus button on the tablet when attempting to share the screen. Instead, use the share screen button that is part of the Zoom application. Once this button is selected, you can choose between sharing the desktop or uploading a PowerPoint presentation. When showing a PowerPoint presentation, we suggest using that option rather than showing the entire desktop.
10. To switch back to using a camera view while showing a PowerPoint presentation or sharing the computer desktop, stop screen sharing inside of Zoom. The Stop Share button will be at the top of the Zoom session. After sharing is stopped, the Zoom session will show the cameras predominately again. Camera switching is discussed in steps 4, 5, and 6 above.
11. To start and stop recording in Zoom, use the Record button. For more information about recording a class session for later viewing, and for distributing recordings, please click here.
Shutdown of Technology When Class is Complete
When your class session is complete, please:
1. Stop recording your Zoom session (if applicable).
2. Log out of the computer when done. You only need to log out of your account. The computer should be left on.
3. Turn off the lapel microphone by holding down the Mute button on the microphone box until the light turns off.
4. Plug the Vaddio lanyard back into the USB charger. The lanyard does not need turned off as it will power down on its own after not being used for a period of time.
5. Place the tablet back onto it's charging tray.
Issue 1 - People online cannot hear my audio.
1. Make sure the microphones are not muted with the Mute button on the tablet. Pictures shown in step 7 above.
2. If the problem still persist, make sure the lapel microphone is not muted. Further explanation is in step 8 above.
3. Next please use the Test Speaker & Microphone option in Zoom.
4. If needed, replace the AA batteries in the lapel microphone.
5. If the problem persists, please contact the Help Desk.
Issue 2 - The Vaddio lanyard isn't tracking my movement.
1. Make sure the lanyard light is blue indicating that it has been powered on.
2. The lanyard tracker can lose the lanyard location if there is too much sunlight. Close the shades to limit the daylight in the room.
3. Walk straight down the middle of the classroom to re-align the tracker and camera with the lanyard.
Issue 3 - The view on the computer doesn't look like a normal computer view.
1. This means the input on the InFocus (combined touchscreen TV and computer) is not using the correct input. Use the Input button on the remote control (not the tablet) to change the input to MONDOPAD. If you cannot locate the remote control for the InFocus, there is also an input button on the side of the InFocus.