Audience: Franklin University instructors looking for information on how to take attendance in BlueQuill and learn about the different attendance policies.
Disclaimer: The attendance recording process and policies differ per institution. The information below only pertains to Franklin University only.
In this article:
- Attendance Overview
- The Attendance Tool
- Franklin University Attendance Policy
- Z-Grade Policies and Procedures
For Franklin University instructors, attendance is done through BlueQuill utilizing the attendance tool. It is important to keep track of student attendance for multiple reasons, but one major reason is because students can be given Z-Grades for missing too many courses. If this happens, students essentially fail the course, which can affect their financial aid. Let's look at how to record attendance and how it all affects our students.
The Attendance Tool
To take attendance in BlueQuill:
- Navigate to your course's home page.
- Click on the "Apps" menu at the top of your course's page.
- Within the Apps menu, select the "Take Attendance" app to open the attendance tool in a new browser tab.
- This is what the attendance tool looks like. From here, you can click on the date drop-down menu to choose a time-frame, the session view button to view one week at a time, or the full view button to view attendance for the entire length of your course.
- Note that in the session view, students have the term NLI next to their name. This means Never Logged In and only appears here because these are fakes students.
- To record attendance, choose the correct selection for each student in the present, absent, or special columns.
- You may also click the drop-down button next to each option to Select All or View Policy.
- The special option can be used for students who have arranged alternate attendance requirements with the instructor. This could be due to a disability, emergency needs, special course formats, or any other reason an instructor might approve. If you select special for a student, then you will be required to enter a comment as to why the student has been excused, like so:
- After recording each students' attendance, you must click the Save button to keep all changes.
- Note that students who are either absent or given a Z-Grade will be notified via email.
Franklin University Attendance Policy
The Franklin University attendance policy can be found in the Academic Bulletin, which is updated every year. It can also be found by clicking on "Attendance Policy" at the top, right-hand corner of the attendance tool.
NOTE: You must be logged into your university Office365 account to view the Sharepoint site that holds the Academic Bulletins.
Z-Grade Policies and Procedures
The attendance policy for Franklin University allows students to miss a certain amount of classes based on the number of credit hours the course is worth. You can find the details of the Z-Grade policy in the Academic Bulletin. Once a student has missed more classes than is permitted, the attendance tool will automatically assign the student a Z-Grade, a red "(Z)" will appear next to their name, and you will see a warning like so:
A Z-Grade is a failing grade and this can affect student's financial aid for the current term and future eligibility. This is why it is so important to reach out to these students before they earn a Z-Grade, so that we may try and help them get back on track.