Audience: Franklin University students taking courses with eTextbooks offered through Vital Source.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to audience listed above.
If you eTextbooks are offered through another published besides Vital Source, instructions will differ from those below. For a full list of eTextbook training resources, please click here.
Vital Source eBooks in Franklin University Courses
If you are taking a course with an online book that is offered through Vital Source (3rd party book distributor), you can access the book using the following steps.
- Go to your course. Then, you will need to open a course object with a link to your book. Most likely, such course objects pertain to reading assignments for a week. Course Objects with a link to your book will have a button in the object that opens the book in a new tab in your browser.
- If you have never opened a Vital Source book through one of your courses, you will be prompted to create an account. Please choose to create the account. We recommend using your Franklin email address. However, this Vital Source account is not connected to your school myFranklin/email account and is not managed by the Franklin University Technology Help Desk.
Creating an account after opening the book through your course, will allow for continued access to the book, even after that course is complete with a passing grade.
- After you have completed step 2, you can then go back to the Vital Source Website to view that book, even after the course is complete. https://www.vitalsource.com/
Vital Source offers a number of tutorials and videos on how to navigate, highlight, and make notes to your e-text book here: https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us
For videos on how to navigate your e-textbook, go here: http://downloads.vitalbook.com/tutorials/publish/index.html?did=generic#video/online_3_navigating_library
Related Article: https://bluequill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/228503107
Mobile Access for Vital Source eTextbooks
If you have any questions about your Vital Source account, accessing your books through a mobile application, or other questions, please visit: https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us
Troubleshooting Vital Source Access Issues
Common Problems or Symptoms
- The book will not load.
- The book loads, but I am asked to pay for it. But, I have already paid for it through my course.
If you are having trouble accessing your Vital Source eBook for a Franklin university course, please try the following steps:
- Log out of the Vital Source website if you are logged in already.
- Open the book through your course in BlueQuill. For instructions, please see the section about, step 1.
- Log in using the account you signed up with for your Vital Source account.
Reasons for Contacting Vital Source:
- If you do not remember your what email address you used to access your Vital Source account.
- While you can use your Franklin University email address when you sign up, it is not required. Therefore, you may be trying to access the eTextbook with a different email address than was used when you signed up. Your account with Vital Source is managed by Vital Source and cannot be administered in any way by the Franklin University Help Desk.
Contacting Vital Source: https://support.vitalsource.com/hc/en-us
Wish to log a request with the Help Desk? Use your Franklin or Urbana University username and password to login: Log A Request