Audience: Franklin and Urbana University Faculty and Staff that have been granted IT permission to access work resources using their University laptop off-campus.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to audience listed above.
Working from Home
As a Franklin University or Urbana University staff or faculty member you may need to work from home. Here are few things to consider before attempting to work from home.
- Do you have VPN access? VPN is used to connect you to University resources by establishing a virtual private network (VPN) through a basic internet connection, like home WiFi. Then, you can use your University issued laptop to access secure applications like Colleague, PowerCampus, OnBase, network drives, and more.
To request VPN access, please have your supervisor contact the Help Desk with:
- A request for your VPN access (sent in by your supervisor)
- The business justification to access University resources from home.
Instructions for using VPN on your laptop: CLICK HERE
Please keep in mind that you will not need VPN to access services like SharePoint, OneDrive, email, BlueQuill, and other applications. If you have questions about whether VPN is needed to access an application from home, please contact the Help Desk.
- Do you have your laptop charger? Seems like a simple one, but it can be pretty frustrating to lose power for your laptop when at home.
- Do you need a virtual phone?Virtual phones are a piece of software configured with the same phone line as your desk phone in your office (picture shown below). Virtual phones require VPN access to operate correctly. The interface allows you to place and receive calls using the audio devices on your laptop. It is best to use a USB (or other) headset for placing and receiving calls through your laptop when using a virtual phone.
If you need a virtual phones work just like your desk phone. To request a virtual phone setup, please contact the Help Desk. It is best to request a virtual phone at least a week before it is first needed to allow time for the correct configurations.