Audience: Franklin University Faculty and Staff that wish to recall an email using the Outlook client on their computer.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to the audience listed above.
The Microsoft Outlook desktop program provides email recall functionality that allows you to recall a message you have sent. This will remove the email from the recipient's inbox.
To perform an email recall, please follow the steps below:
- Go to your Sent folder and find the message in question.
- Double click the message to open it in the full message view.
- In the "Move" section of the Ribbon, click the "Actions" button and select "Recall this Message"
- In the pop up that appears, select the functionality you would like to apply to the recalled message.
- Click OK. This will attempt the recall.
- If you selected the "Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient" checkbox, you will receive emails with the status of the recall for each recipient.
PLEASE NOTE: The requirements for the feature are strict, and all of the following statements must be true for the message to actually recall:
- Messages can only be recalled from other Office 365 users, not external accounts
- Messages can only be recalled if they have not been read.
- The user from whom you are recalling the message must be using Outlook for Windows, and have Outlook open at the time of recall.
- Recipients using Outlook Web Access, Outlook for Mac, or a mobile device will not have their message recalled.
Basically, this feature is not fully reliable and other means should be used to ensure that the wrong information is not sent to undesirable recipients.