Audience: Franklin and Urbana University Faculty and Staff that have been granted IT permission to add shared mailboxes to their email.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to audience listed above.
This article assumes that the manager has already granted Delegate Access to the delegate user. This article only covers adding mailboxes once delegate permissions are granted.
Add a Shared Mailbox to your View in Office 365 Online Email
- Log into Office 365 email by navigating to: mail.franklin.edu (Franklin) or mail.urbana.edu (Urbana).
- Log in with your email address and Password.
- Go to the left navigation pane.
- Under folders click 'More'.
- Right click on your name.
- Click 'Add shared folder'.
- Enter the email address of the shared mailbox (e.g. Shared_mailbox@franklin.edu).
- Click Add.
Add a Shared Mailbox to your Outlook Client
Many departments at the University make use of one or more shared mailboxes, such as "firstname.lastname@example.org" or "email@example.com." Many of these mailboxes have been configured so that all of the appropriate people can add this folder to their Outlook client. Below are the steps you need to take to accomplish this.
1. Within your Outlook account navigate to File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings.
2. Click on Account Settings
3. Highlight your Microsoft Exchange account and click the Change button.
4. Click the More Settings option.
5. Within the MS Exchange Window click the Advanced Tab.
6. Under the Mailboxes section click the Add button to add the additional mailbox you have access to.
7. In the Add Mailbox window type the name of the inbox you wish to add.
8. Click OK.
9. Make sure your additional mailbox is listed in the advanced tab.
10. Click OK.
Please note: At this point, you may be prompted to restart Outlook.
If you are, click OK to the message and proceed to Step 11.
11. Navigate your way out of previous windows by:
- clicking Next on theChange Account window
- and then Finish.
- Click Close on the Account Settings
12. Close and re-start Outlook.
13. When you have re-started outlook, Click on the Mail button in the Navigation pane. In the folder list, you will see the additional account you just added underneath your own.
To expand the new account and display the additional folders that you were given access rights to, click the small triangle next to the mailbox name
If you receive an error that you "cannot expand the folder" when you click on the small triangle, then you may not have the appropriate permissions to access that mailbox. Please have the mailbox owner put a ticket in with the Help Desk that requests that you be given permission to this mailbox.