Audience: Franklin and Urbana University students, faculty, and staff with University Office 365 accounts.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to audience listed above.
Because of Microsoft’s partnership with Franklin University and Urbana University, the full version of Microsoft Office is available to you free of charge. It can be downloaded directly from the Office 365 Portal (the same place where you access your Franklin/Urbana online email). The download includes the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Outlook, Skype for Business, InfoPath, and OneDrive for Business. These applications may be installed on up to 5 devices.
Here are a few things to note before choosing to install the Office applications in this manner:
- This download will always contain the latest version of the full Office suite, and it may override any existing installations of Office that you have on your computer. The Help Desk will not be able to assist you with recovering your previous version of Office if you decide to install this version.
- The licensing for these products is dependent on your account with Franklin University or Urbana University. After your studies or employment at Franklin or Urbana have concluded, your Microsoft Office license is subject to deactivation and the software’s functionality will become limited.
The Process may very somewhat for Mac computers.
1. Log into your email using the Outlook Web App (mail.franklin.edu OR mail.urbana.edu). Then click on the gear icon in the upper right hand side of the window. Choose Office 365 settings.
2. Once you are on the Office 365 settings page, search for "software" and click on the Software option.
3. Once you get to the software screen make sure to select office and then click install.
4. When you click install a file will be downloaded. You may have to look in your downloads folder to run the program. Or it will show up in the lower left hand corner if you're using Chrome.
5. Once you run the program you will see the following window, click run.
6. Once the installation starts you'll see this window
7. Then you'll see the following window. Click Next
8. Windows will show the status of the installation in the lower right corner of the screen.
9. Click accept.
10. Click sign in
11. Put in your Franklin or Urbana email address and click next.
NOTE: staff and faculty will need to use their full email address (<firstname>.<lastname>@<franklin or urbana>.edu) format. Some users have email aliases the are shorter (<username>@<email.franklin or urbana>.edu), but will not be recognized by Office365 for licensing.
12. Use your Franklin or Urbana Password to log in.
13. Click next.
14. Choose your background theme.
15. You will see this window as the installation finishes.
16. You'll see this window when the installation is finished.
17. You now have Office 2016 installed.