Audience: Franklin University faculty, staff, and students with Office 365 accounts.
Disclaimer: The results and functionality of the following article only apply to the audience listed above.
Skype for Business Training Resources:
For Skype for Business Training on the following subjects (some links listed below will take you to another website and some links are part of this article):
- What is Skype for Business?
- How to download and install Skype for Business
- How to sign in and out
- How to setup audio and video
- Set presence options
- How to add or change your photo
- Set up an online meeting
- Making audio and video calls in Skype for Business/Lync
- Adding your mobile number to Skype for Business/Lync for Office 365
- Finding and adding a contact
- Record and play back a Skype for Business meeting
- Send an IM to several people/group at once in Skype for Business
- Share Your Desktop or Programs in a Skype for Business Meeting
Finding and Adding a Contact
In Skype for Business, contacts are the online identities of the people you interact with most often. They’re a key part of the Skype for Business experience. One of the first things you’ll want to do as you begin using Skype for Business is to start building a list of contacts.
1. In the search field on the Skype for Business main window, type the full email address of the person you want to add.
2. When the Contacts list appears, right-click on their picture to see more Options.
3. Point to Add to Contact List and select a group for your new contact to belong to.
NOTE: You cannot initiate or save a recording on Skype for Business for Mac (2011).
Record your Skype for Business Meeting
1. Click More Options> Start Recording.
If the recording option is dimmed, your audio might not be connected. Click the mic/phone icon to connect audio, then try again.
2. Use the controls at the bottom of the meeting to pause, resume, or stop the recording.
3. To see who else is recording, point to the red recording button.
4. When you’re done, click Stop Recording.
5. Skype for Business automatically saves the recording in MP4 format.
You can exit the meeting while the recording is being processed.
Play and share a recording
When your recording has been processed, you can access it to play or send to others. Skype for Business displays a message when the recording is ready. You can click the alert to open Recording Manager, or if you miss that, click Tools on the Skype for Business
main window, then Recording Manager.
In the Recording Manager window:
- Click your recording to highlight it, then click Play on the right side of the window.
- You can also rename or delete your recording here.
- To share your recording with others, click Browse to locate it, then copy the file to post on a shared location, such as OneDrive or an internal SharePoint site.
If you cannot post the recording, check to make sure you have enough space on the page.
TIP: Recordings are saved in the Videos/Skype for Business Recordings folder on your computer.
Send an IM to several people/group at once in Skype for Business
To start an IM conversation with more than one of your contacts, do the following:
- If the people you want to send the instant message to appear as adjacent contacts in your Contacts list, press and hold the Shift key while you click the listing for each person. Then, right-click and select Send an IM , type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter.
- If the people you want to send the instant message to appear in the list as contacts who aren’t adjacent, press and hold the Ctrl key while you click each contact. Then, right-click and select Send an IM, type your message at bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter. Your message will go to all the people you’ve selected.
Send an instant message to a group
- Right-click the group name in your Contacts list, click Send an Instant Message, type your message at the bottom of the conversation window, and then press Enter. Your message will go to all group members.
Share Your Desktop or Programs in a Skype for Business Meeting
You can show your entire desktop, or just one or many programs to everyone in a Skype for Business Meeting.
Share your desktop when you have to switch between programs, or work on documents from different programs.
Share a program when you want to present specific programs or documents, and you don’t want people to see anything else on your computer.
How to share your desktop or a program
In the meeting window, click the presentation (monitor) icon.
Click Present Desktop to share the content on your desktop.
Click Present Program, and select the programs or documents you want to share.
Use the sharing toolbar at the top of the screen to stop sharing, or give control to participants.
When you’ve finished presenting, on the toolbar click Stop Presenting on the toolbar.
Important: When you share your desktop, everyone in the meeting can see your programs, documents, and notifications. If you have confidential information or documents that you don’t want people to see, close them or use program sharing instead.