NOTE: Beginning in Summer 2020, the process of opting out of e-textbooks/courseware will change. Opt-out will take place within the VitalSource platform once you have access to your course, 10 days prior to the course start date. For more information, follow the instructions in your course.
The current process for spring 2020 e-textbooks/courseware opt out will remain the same. The opt-out period will still begin at the time of registration. The fee for any charges you opt out of will be removed from your account no later than 22 days after the course begins.
Opting Out of E-Textbooks Video
E-Textbooks are the most common way of obtaining textbooks at Franklin University, but if you wish to opt out or back in, all students have this option. It's important to know that there are some date restrictions to this process:
- Students have 14 days after the course start date to opt in and out of e-textbooks as needed.
- After the 14 days are up, students have 1 more week (14-21 days after the course start date) to opt back in ONE more time, but you cannot opt back out during this time period.
How to Opt Out of E-Textbooks
If you are a Franklin student who wants to opt out of using E-Textbooks, the following article shows how this is done in BlueQuill.
- Log into BlueQuill.
- Click on Shortcuts at the top of the screen, next to the home button.
- Click on the E-Textbook Opt Out link under the Tools tab.
- This will open a new tab that includes a list of your courses with an Opt Out button. Click the button if you want to opt out of using an E-Textbook.
- Once you click Opt Out, you will get a warning that includes features that you will be forfeiting as a result of opting out. Here, you must click either Cancel Action or I Understand.
- Click I Understand if you wish to continue with the opt out process.
- If you clicked I Understand in the previous step, you will be asked to provide a reason for opting out.
- Once you have made a selection, click Opt Out to complete the action, or Cancel Action if you wish to cancel the opt out process.
- Once you have opted out, you will see the Book Status change to Opt Out for that course. You will also see the button change from Opt Out to Opt In, in case you made a mistake and need to opt back in.
NOTE: You will only be able to opt in within the first 21 days of the course start date.
- If you need to opt back in, click the Opt In button. Once you click Opt In, you will get another prompt. Select either Cancel Action to cancel the action, or I Understand to opt back in.
- You will notice that the button will change from saying Opt In to Opt Out.